If you sit on your arse just waiting for lightning to strike out of the sky and give you the energy to push through even the toughest of challenges, you might be waiting for the next 10 / 15 / 30 years.
Stop waiting for some primal urge that shakes you off your arse and into action.
Just take action now.
You know you need to. You know that there’s never going to be enough theory in your head to make a difference. You know you need to get off your arse and start doing SOMETHING if you’re ever going to become the kind of Man you want to be.
So do it.
I don’t care what kind of excuses you have.
I don’t care about how hard your life is or what someone you’ll probably never see again might think about you.
Get. Up. Now.
Yes, you’ve got all these old habits that get you wondering what other people could be thinking about you.
Yes, you feel far more comfortable running away from fear rather than stepping towards it.
Yes, you’ve been practising these habits for a very long time.
BUT THEY’RE NEVER GOING TO CHANGE UNTIL YOU TAKE ACTION.
Stop waiting for motivation. Stop waiting for drive. Stop waiting for passion and desire and energy. Just get off your arse and do something.
Even going out and trying to get external validation would be more beneficial than sitting at home thinking about how much more internally validated you could be. At least you’re doing something with your life other than letting it waste away in front of the TV.
“But I need motivation!”
No, you don’t. You weren’t passionately driven to get dressed this morning. You weren’t passionately driven to check your email. You weren’t passionately driven to read this article. You weren’t passionately driven to watch TV. You just did it.
You just got off your arse and did something. All I’m telling you to do is keep going but actually do something useful!
Not sure what to do? Here’s a list of 50 things you could try:
2. Do 50 push-ups
3. Get in contact with three old friends
4. Ask a girl out on a date
5. Go for a run
6. Clean your room
7. Walk out of your house and talk to 5 strangers
8. Enrol in a new course
9. Do that thing you’ve been putting off for three months
10. Finish the housework
11. Do 50 sit-ups
12. Join a meetup group (http://www.meetup.com)
13. Drive 2 hours from your house to a place you’ve never been before and stay the night
14. Invite your mates around for an impromptu party
15. Build something out of wood
16. Cook a dish you’ve never cooked before
17. Visit a museum
18. Delete all the porn off your computer
19. Introduce yourself to your neighbours
20. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter
21. Take a dance class
22. Learn a musical instrument
23. Host a movie marathon
24. Go through your closet and donate anything you haven’t worn in a year to a second-hand store
25. Ride your bike
26. Write out a 5-year plan
27. Buy food for the homeless and listen to their stories
28. Tell 5 friends how much you appreciate them and why you appreciate them
29. Go bowling
30. Visit the local nursing home
31. Start an art project
32. Climb a tree
33. Create a vision board
34. Have a potluck dinner
35. Fly a kite
36. Compliment 5 women you’ve never met before
37. Write poetry or short story
38. Rent a canoe
39. Get a part-time job doing something you love
40. Plant your own vegetable garden
41. Go rock climbing
42. Go to a professional sporting event
43. Watch live music
44. Pretend to be a tourist in your own city and visit all the incredible things on your doorstep
45. Organise a garage sale with all your mates and get rid of anything that isn’t directly necessary for you to be happy (link to post about happiness)
46. Learn to surf
47. Clean out your garage
48. Go for a walk and say “Hi” to anyone you make eye contact with
49. Take an improvisational acting class
50. Perform at an open-mike night
Not sure which one of these to do? Choose the one that you have the most resistance to doing/that scares you the most.
That way, after doing it, everything else on the list will seem like a piece of cake.
If you’re a guy who’s been waiting for motivation before he does what he knows he needs to do and is willing to drop that game, write a list of 5 things you know you need to do and post it in the comments with a date you will have those 5 things done by.
Once you’ve posted it, get off your arse and do the first one immediately.
Prove to yourself just how much you can achieve, regardless of your level of motivation.